Videos and Podcasts from Fintechpolicy.org
Fintechpolicy.org Written Features
- Fed Chair Jerome Powell Discusses Leveraging an Ethereum-Based Libor Replacement
The Federal Reserve’s Chair, Jerome Powell has hinted at using an Ethereum-based interest reference rate in a transition from the London Interbank Offered Rate (Libor). Powell also detailed in a letter to Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR), that the Ethereum version of Libor, a software called “Ameribor” may not be for everyone.The United States Federal Reserve …
- China’s Big Lenders and Fintech Firms to Distribute Virtual Yuan Tokens, which will be Highly Traceable, Potentially Amplifying Government’s Power: Report
Andy Mukherjee argues in a recently published Op-Ed in the Washington Post that the virtual yuan could potentially transform “the relationship between money, economic power, and geopolitical clout.” The digital renminbi has been under development since 2014. Its top-level design was recently finalized and its pilot has been launched in several major Chinese cities. Mukherjee …
- Wild Satoshi Theories: The Curious Case of Bitcoin Block 3654 from 2009
On Wednesday, 50 bitcoin mined on February 9, 2009, was moved from the original address to a new address. The movement of coins caused a great commotion throughout the cryptocurrency community, as some individuals assumed it may have been the mysterious Satoshi Nakamoto. However, skeptics believe that even though the coins stemmed from an address …
- A Fintech-Inspired Approach to Contact Tracing
By Chris Brummer* China tracks individuals without their permission. And the United States won’t do so at all. The question, increasingly, is whether there’s something in between. The objections to China’s approach are pretty obvious. The crisis offers an opportunity for the country’s leaders seeking to extend the authority of China’s Communist Party …
- Crypto Community Slams Binance Smart Chain Over Centralization
Many crypto analysts have criticized the whitepaper for Binance’s forthcoming ‘Smart Chain’, which was published on April 17.Smart Chain will be Binance’s second smart contract-enabled chain after Binance Chain. It offers the additions of full compatibility with Ethereum (ETH) and a delegated proof-of-stake, or DPoS, governance system with 21 node operators elected by Binance Coin …
- One-Man Crypto Company Crushed by Netherlands’ AMLD5 Implementation
Dutch Bitcoin (BTC) savings platform, Bittr, has decided to cease operations ahead of Holland’s introduction of the EU’s AMLD5 anti-money laundering, or AML, regulations.Bittr’s closure follows criticism of the Netherlands’ implementation of AMLD5 — reportedly resulting in crypto firms incurring greater fees than credit card companies and traditional trusts.Dutch AMLD5 Forces Closure of BittrBittr’s founder, …
- Bitcoin Approaches $7K as US Passes New $480B Stimulus Package
Bitcoin is rising so far on Wednesday as stock markets cheer the U.S. Senate’s decision to approve $484 billion in new coronavirus relief. The top cryptocurrency by market value is changing hands near $6,970 at press time, representing a 1.6 percent gain on the day. Prices look to have steadied in the $6,930 to $7,000 range …
- Trump’s COVID-19 stimulus plan needs to swap checks for digital dollars
President Trump’s plan to issue checks to stimulate the US economy amidst the COVID-19 downturn will see almost every American receive a $1200 pay-out. But how many Americans will fail to cash or even receive those checks? And how can the government ensure the money will be put back into the nation’s economy? A central …
- Peer-to-Peer Crypto Exchange Paxful Now Lets You Trade Bitcoin for Gold
Paxful, a peer-to-peer bitcoin exchange, now allows users to transact in gold.CEO Ray Youssef said the new service comes in direct response to user requests, offering a swap option and a transfer procedure.Parties first negotiate terms, including if the gold transfer will happen in person and where. The bitcoin (BTC) holder then sends the agreed-upon …
- The pandemic has messed up global supply chains. Blockchains could help.
The novel coronavirus sweeping the globe has exposed how vulnerable international supply chains are to disruption. The World Economic Forum has a pitch for how to make them more resilient: blockchains.Covid-19 chaos: Quarantines, lockdowns, and reduced air travel have disrupted normal business operations all over the world and made it difficult for buyers to keep …
Enforcement and Surveillance
- ICOs, Token Sales, Crowdsales Tracker: a curated list of ongoing and upcoming token
sales, sometimes referred to as ICOs (initial coin offerings) and crowdsales.
- In the Matter of BTC Trading, Corp and Ethan Burnside, (June 2014), Securities Act of
1933 (Release No. 9685) (Dec. 8, 2014), Securities and Exchange Act of 1934 (Release No.
73783) (Dec. 8, 2014), Admin Proceeding File No. 3-16307. https://www.sec.gov/news/press-
release/2014-273 (Unregistered Securities Offering, Operating an Unregistered Securities
Exchange and Unregistered Broker Dealer)
- Securities and Exchange Commission v. Jon T. Montroll and BitFunder, Inc. (US District
Court for Southern District of New York) (February 2018) https://www.sec.gov/news/press-
release/2018-23 (Sale of unregistered securities, operating an unregistered securities exchange,
misappropriating customer bitcoin and failing to inform investors of cyber attacks.)
- Securities and Exchange Commission v. Trendon T. Shavers and Bitcoin Savings & Trust
(US District Court Eastern District of Texas) (July 23, 2013) https://www.sec.gov/news/press-
release/2013-132 (Ponzi Scheme – Bitcoin Based Investments offered and old investors paid
with new investor bitcoin)
- In the Matter of Munchee, Inc. (Dec. 11, 2107), 1933 Act Release No. 10445, Admin.
Proceeding File No. 3-18304 https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2017-227 (Offering
unregistered securities to the public – Munchee Phone App for Restaurants – MUN coin).
- Consumer Protection Bureau’s Project Catalyst: Portal designed for entrepreneurs to
pitch ideas for consumer-friendly innovation.
- European Commission’s Fintech Portal: On this site, the EU defines Fintech, and lays
out its action plan.
- InvestHK: Hong Kong SAR’s website showcasing financial innovations and startups in
- LabCFTC: the focal point for the CFTC’s efforts to promote responsible financial
technology (FinTech) innovation and fair competition for the benefit of the American
public. LabCFTC is designed to be the hub for the agency’s engagement with the
FinTech innovation community.
- MAS Regulatory Sandbox: Read updates on Singapore’s regulatory sandbox, widely
considered one of the most ambitious in the world.
- OCC Responsible Innovation: go here to see the latest updates from the OCC on their
mission to support responsible innovation of new or improved financial products,
services and processes.
- U.K. Financial Conduct Authorities Project Innovate: Explore the various initiatives
ongoing in the U.K. to support financial services innovation, including information on the
FCA’s regulatory sandbox.
Multilateral Standard Setters and Rulemakers
- Basel Committee Report on Sound Practices: implications of fintech developments for
banks and bank supervisors.
- Basel Committee Report on Regulating cryptocurrencies: assessing market reactions.
Financial Stability Board report on Monitoring of FinTech: a compendium of documents
produced by body related to fintech.
- IOSCO Research Report on Financial Technologies (Fintech): An overview of the
organization’s insights as to the risks, benefits and dimensions of fintech.
- The American Banker Podcast: Informed discussions from the magazine about ideas and
developments in banking and financial services.How High Frequency Trading Works, Trading Speed, and the Flash Crash
- Breaking Banks: One of the top international podcasts covering a wide range of fintech
- Fintech Insider: a tri-weekly podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking and
- Lend Academy’s Lending and Fintech Podcast: Interviews with fintech leaders about
what is happening in online banking and peer to peer (p2p) lending firms.
- Unchained: Conversations with industry pioneers across tech, financial services, health
care, government and other sectors about how the blockchain and cryptocurrency will
open up new opportunities for incumbents, startups and everyday people to interact more
efficiently, directly and globally.